About the Department
Ever since the department of Bioinformatics started its journey over fifteen years back, the department has been simultaneously and successfully performing the multiple roles of creating new knowledge, acquiring new capabilities and producing an intelligent human resource pool contributing in bioinformatics and allied fields. The Department has always been on a high growth path and has experienced and dedicated faculty with strong commitment to higher education who work with zeal and enthusiasm to provide a vibrant and optimum learning environment. The faculty takes active interest in research and development activities. High Impact publications in International Journals and authoring refereed books showcase the standard of the faculty members.
The growth of expertise in the department is commendable. In keeping with the department’s vision, the holistic development of the students is focused upon that instils a habit of continued learning and a sense of responsibility in them to contribute towards the betterment of the society.
The periodically updated curriculum imparts technical knowledge to the students and the application based environment in the well-equipped computational facilities complements the same. The infrastructure and lab facilities are upgraded from time to time and provide a good practical learning and innovative environment for the students and researchers. The students are motivated to participate in paper presentations, workshops and seminars that are essential to maintaining proficiency. Cultural activities are also promoted through various clubs at the departmental and university level.
Most of the alumni members are in Ph.D, Post-Doctoral research or in job in companies. A large percentage of students also qualify GATE for pursuing higher studies. We hope that a strong positive reputation of the department will pull eminent companies for campus recruitment. If you have further questions after visiting our website which provides details of faculty members, research activities, research facilities and various student activities, please feel free to contact us on the email address provided on faculty pages.
Vision of the Department :
To emerge as a world class center of education for building the best human resource in the Bioinformatics and allied areas through teaching, training, innovation, and research.
Mission of the Department :
- To create opportunities for multi-disciplinary education, training, and research in the area of Bioinformatics.
- To educate the students to choose professions in industry, academia, and entrepreneurship.
- To impart environmental, legal, and ethical awareness to the students for the inclusive development of the society. .
Program Educational Objectives (PEOs) of M.Tech in BioinformaticsGraduating students of M. Tech in Bioinformatics program shall be able to
- PEO1: Contribute significantly in bioinformatics, academics, and industry for economic growth globally.
- PEO2: Pursue research and enhance entrepreneurship skills in Bioinformatics leading to lifelong learning.
Program Outcomes (POs) of M.Tech in BioinformaticsGraduating Students of M. Tech. in Bioinformatics program will
- PO1: An ability to independently carry out research /investigation and development work to solve practical problems.
- PO2: An ability to write and present a substantial technical report/document.
- PO3: Students should be able to demonstrate a degree of mastery over the area as per the specialization of the program. The mastery should be at a level higher than the requirements in the appropriate bachelor program
- PO4: Apply biology and information technology in computational applications.
- PO5: Students should have an ability to develop analytical ability and rational thinking for consistent solutions of subjects.
Program Specific Outcomes (PSOs) of M.Tech in BioinformaticsGraduating students of M. Tech in Bioinformatics program shall be able to
- PSO1: Utilize the subject specific core understanding to develop own professional target in research and development, industry or Government sector.
- PSO2: Adapt the cutting-edge technologies of Bioinformatics to build innovative skills for future prospects.
Program Educational Objectives (PEOs) of M.Sc. in BioinformaticsThe PEOs for the graduating students of M.Sc. in Bioinformatics program will be able to
- PEO1: Pursue advanced education and research in Bioinformatics to lifelong learning.
- PEO2: Flourish in their trained professional career in industry and academics globally.
- PEO3: Inculcate spirit of work, constructive thinking, professionalism, enhancing entrepreneurship skills and ethical behavior.
Program Outcomes (Pos) of M.Sc. in BioinformaticsThe graduates of M.Sc. in Bioinformatics program will have
- PO1: An ability to acquire knowledge to solve biological problems using Information technology.
- PO2: Apply appropriate techniques, resources, and software to predict and model complex bioinformatics systems.
- PO3: An ability to expertise in interdisciplinary research and collaborate towards achieving common goals.
- PO4: Deploy a wide range portfolio of advanced analytical and Bioinformatics techniques using contemporary software tools for the purpose of solving real-life problems.
Program Specific Outcomes (PSOs)of M.Sc. in BioinformaticsAfter successful completion of the program, the graduates of M.Sc. in Bioinformatics program shall be able to
- PSO1: Utilize modern software tools for mathematical modeling and solution of problems with high throughput in the domain of Bioinformatics.
- PSO2: Use theoretical and practical knowledge of the program appropriately in academics and industrial fields.
Program Educational Objectives (PEOs) B.Sc. in BioinformaticsThe PEOs for the graduating students of B.Sc. in Bioinformatics program will be able to
- PEO 1: Pursue basic education in Bioinformatics for future career path.
- PEO 2: Flourish in their employable professional career in industry and academics.
- PEO 3: Think constructively, perform teamwork along with individual professionalism, enhance entrepreneurship skills and ethical behavior.
Program Outcomes (POs) B.Sc. in BioinformaticsThe graduates of B.Sc. in Bioinformatics program will be able to
- PO1: Apply the basic principles and concepts of biology, computer science and mathematics.
- PO2: Apply existing software effectively to extract information from large databases and to use this information in computer modelling.
- PO3: Equip with the laboratory skills in bioinformatics.
- PO4: Develop an ability to solve, analyze and interpret data generated from the courses.
- PO5: Develop written and oral communication skills to communicate effectively in a larger community.
- PO6: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities.
- PO7: Perform as an individual, and as a member in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- PO8: Design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret scientific data.
- PO9: Inculcate an attitude of enquiry towards developing innovative ability and enhancing entrepreneurship skills.
- PO10: Recognize the need for, and engage in life-long learning.
Program Specific Outcome (PSOs) B.Sc. in BioinformaticsAfter successful completion of the program, the graduates of B.Sc. in Bioinformatics program shall be able to
- PSO1: Acquire core knowledge and applications of the basic concepts of bioinformatics which include the major areas of cell biology, protein chemistry, bio-database and bio-tools, computer languages etc.
- PSO2: Practical exercises accompanied with theoretical studies enable students to analyze, visualize and interpret biological data as well as to draw valid inferences out of them.
- PSO3: Understand the applications of statistical concepts in other interdisciplinary areas like Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biotechnology, Computer Science, etc.
- PSO4: Provides a strong platform for pursuing higher studies leading to Post Graduate or Research degrees as well as successful professional careers.
B.Sc in Bioinformatics: Admission through CET examination.
Eligibility Criteria : 10+2 in Science
How to Apply: https://makautwb.ac.in/page.php?id=313
M.Sc in Bioinformatics: Admission through CET examination.
Eligibility Criteria: B.Sc (Honours) or Graduation (Majors) or 140 Credit Point or B.Tech. in any Biological discipline (Bioinformatics, Biotechnology, Food Sc., Genetics, Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Pharmacy, Zoology, Botany, Physiology etc.), Graduate (Honours) in Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics etc., B.Sc. or B.Tech in Computer Science and Information Technology, BCA/MCA, B.Pharm, etc.
How to Apply: https://makautwb.ac.in/page.php?id=313
M.Tech. in Bioinformatics: Admission through PGET examination.
Eligibility Criteria: M.Sc and B.Tech in any Biological discipline (Bioinformatics, Biotechnology, Food Sc., Genetics, Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Zoology, Botany, Physiology, Medical Biotechnology, Agriculture, Food and Nutrition), M.Sc. (Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Statistics, CSE, IT, Data Science, AI, Machine Learning), B.Tech in Computer Science, Information Technology, Biomedical Engg., Electronics, Data Science, AI, Machine Learning, MCA, B.Pharm.
How to Apply: https://makautwb.ac.in/page.php?id=313
Ph.D in Bioinformatics: Ph.D candidates are recruited through RET exam/ NET/ GATE / other national level exams.
For more information: https://phd.makautwb.ac.in/
Faculty and Staff
|Dr. Hridoy Ranjan Bairagya||Department of Bioinformatics||Associate Professor (C)|
|Dr. Soumen Kumar Pati (HoD)||Department of Bioinformatics||Associate Professor|
|Dr. Chittabrata Mal||Department of Bioinformatics||Assistant Professor (C)|
ResearchAim of the Department is to develop algorithms and tools to improve treatment and prognosis of cancer and brain disorders, utilizing large-scale data from genotyping, sequencing, multi-omics, MD-simulation and neuroimaging. Our goal is to develop and apply machine learning methods to characterize genome organization, integrative modeling of multiple modalities of biomedical datasets including genetic, epigenetic, transcriptomic and imaging data.
The Department of Bioinformatics is currently emphasized on the following research areas: Data Visualization, Drug Discovery in Bioinformatics, Genomic Analysis, Integrative Bioinformatics, Network Bioinformatics, Protein Bioinformatics, Systems Biology, Biomolecular Simulation, NGS Technology, Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence in biology.
- Smart Class
- Bio-programing Lab (Lab 1)
- Omics Data Analysis Lab (Lab 2)
- Computational Drug Design and Biomolecular Simulation Lab (Lab 3)
- Research Lab