About the DepartmentMaterials have always been the keystone of society and are playing a dominant role in our high-tech age. Modern society is heavily dependent on advanced materials such as lightweight composites for faster vehicles, optical fibers for telecommunications, silicon microchips in this age of miniaturization etc.
The Department of Materials Science and Technology has been established to undertake various academic programme on Materials Science and Technology at different levels. The department is also intended to carry out research activities on materials for enhancing the fundamental knowledge as well as nurturing innovative ideas for designing and developing smart and advanced materials.
Vision of the Department:
To achieve the status of state of art in the field of Materials Science and Technology by creating an exciting, diverse, collaborative and supportive environment for the creation of professionals with environmental consciousness, social, moral and ethical values along with the competency to face the new challenges of rapid technological advancements in the field of Materials Science and Technology.
Mission of the Department:
- To inculcate ethics, social awareness, morality and responsibility in students to serve the society.
- Nurture and train students for the cutting-edge research fields and technologies based on Materials Science & Technology and other interdisciplinary sciences.
- MST Department is committed to accommodating Materials Science & Technology and allied scientific & technological activities for our learners.
- To develop liaison and collaboration with the globally recognized academic institutions in order to inject new and fresh thinking in teaching, learning and research
- To generate intellectually capable and successful entrepreneurs having environmental consciousness and ethics who can work as an individual or in a group in multi-cultural global environments for continuing significantly towards the betterment of quality of human life.
B.Sc. in Materials Science – (3 years course)
10+2 passed from any recognized board
M. Sc in Materials Science (2 years course)
- Bachelor’s degree from a UGC-recognized university having honours/majoring in Materials Science/Chemical/Physical/Mathematical sciences or other allied science subjects.
M. Tech in Materials Science and Technology (2 years course) -AICTE approved
- B.E/B.Tech in Ceramic, Polymer, Chemical, Electronics, Electrical, Mechanical, Civil, Metallurgy and Materials Engineering or Technology or equivalent or M.Sc in Materials Science/ Physics/Chemistry/ Mathematics or equivalent
B.Sc. in Materials Science – through CET (Common entrance test)
M. Sc in Materials Science (through CET)
M. Tech in Materials Science and Technology -AICTE approved- PGET/ Direct Admission
GATE qualified students can apply and get scholarships
About these courses:
These courses span basic to advanced level of physics and chemistry of materials to their mechanical, electrical, magnetic and optical properties and the design, manufacture and applications of metals, alloys, ceramics, polymers, composites, biomaterials, etc. The course curriculum also covers most recent and advanced areas such as Energy harvesting materials, Materials for electronic and microelectronic components, Smart Materials, Materials Data Science and Informatics, Computational Material Science etc.
These courses will provide knowledge on structure, properties, processing and performance of materials. Learners will be able to develop novel computational methodologies and novel routes to address recent challenges on materials design and development.
Thrust area of research of the department:
Materials Processing and Characterization, Materials for electronic and microelectronic components, Materials joining and fabrication, Materials for Energy harvesting and Sustainability, Synthesis of Nanostructured materials, Design and Development of Materials using Computational Tools, Materials Data Science and Informatics
Faculty and Staff
|Dr. Sukhendu Samajdar||Department of Materials Science and Technology||Professor (C)|
|Dr Anirban Roy||Department of Materials Science and Technology||Assistant Professor (C)|
|Dr. Madhumita Mukhopadhyay||Department of Materials Science and Technology||Assistant Professor (C)|
|Dr. Monalisa Char (HoD)||Department of Materials Science and Technology||Assistant Professor (C)|
Carl Zeiss Optical Microscope (Transmittance & Reflectance mode)
Computerized Universal Tensile Testing Machine
Vacuum Hot air Oven
Electronic Digital Weighing Balance
Magnetic starrer with ceramic coated hot plate
15 dedicated computers with software loaded like MATLAB, Origin for different computational research and teaching purposes.