About the Department
The Department of Applied Biology was established in 2022 with a view to develop a center of excellence for Science and research in applied fields in current Biology. Currently this Dept. is actively doing Teaching, Entrepreneurship, Mentorship and research.
Vision of the Department :
Impart high quality teaching- learning in the Biotechnology domain in alignment with the national objectives as proposed by the Department of Biotechnology, Govt. of India. Mentor intellectually capable, creative and innovative professionals having ethical values, strong commitments and environment conscious. Ready to face the new challenges for advancements in Science & Technology. Realize excellence in new age innovations and technology for holistic developments.
Mission of the Department :
- To impart quality teaching & learning of international standard for solving real life problems in biotechnology areas.
- To inculcate hands on and academic training in line with the DBT Govt. of India curricular guidelines.
- To institutionalize the extension and outreach activities with a view to contribute in biotechnology developments as an instrument for social change.
- To nurture professionals who can work as individual or in multi-cultural global group and contribute significantly towards the betterment of quality life. . .
Program objectives (POs for M.Sc Biotechnology Program)
- PO1: Develop an understanding of major concepts in about the integration of different disciplines of Biology with fundamental principles of chemistry and physics accompanied by their mathematical evaluation.
- PO2: Complete the scientific outlook not only with respect to subjects but also in all aspects related to life.
- PO3: Develop the ability to explain experimental scientific areas with a proper justification.
- PO4: Employ different written and oral communication skills to communicate effectively in biological science, industry, academia and finally research.
- PO5: Follow the ethical principles and responsibilities as well as issues of environmental contexts and sustainable development.
Program objectives (POs for B.Sc Biotechnology Program)
- PO1: Upon successful completion of the program, the student will gain basic knowledge, acquire scientific communication skills and aware of scientific challenges.
- PO2: The student will understand basic techniques and experimental results in biotechnology areas.
- PO3: The student will able to write, present and illustrate technical report and document the same.
- PO4: The student will understand the scientific experiments.
- PO5: The student will gain analytical ability in subject specific areas.
AdmissionAdmission to M.Sc.
Admission to M.Sc. Program in:
M.Sc. in Molecular Biology (ten seats), M.Sc. in Microbiology (fifteen seats) and M.Sc. in Genetics (ten seats) is offered
Eligibility criteria for the programmes:
For M.Sc. Programs in Molecular Biology/ Microbiology/Genetics
B.Sc. with honours in Zoology/ Botany/ Physiology/ Microbiology/ Biotechnology/ Molecular Biology/ Biochemistry/ Genetics/ Physics/ Chemistry/ Mathematics/ Computer Science and not less than 55% marks in the honours subject.
Candidates appearing for their final year examination, or whose results are awaited, may also apply provided that, if selected, they will be admitted provisionally subject to submission of their final mark sheet by the cut-off date to be notified later by the university, failing which the provisional admission shall stand canceled.
Candidates have to apply through CET examination
Faculty and Staff
|Dr. Ranjita Biswas (HoD)||Department of Applied Biology||Associate Professor|
|Dr. Amit Kumar Chakraborti||Department of Applied Biology||Assistant Professor (C)|
|Dr. Arnab Kumar Ghosh||Department of Applied Biology||Assistant Professor (C)|
|Dr. Milon Banik||Department of Applied Biology||Assistant Professor (C)|
|Sayantani Majumder||Department of Applied Biology||Assistant Professor (C)|